picture from http://www.archinspire.org/
Modular houses are buildings that consist of multiple sections called modules. The modules can be 6 dimension boxes or wall panels constructed in advance at a remote facility, usually in standard sections that can be easily transported and assembled.
What are the advantages of a modular house?
- Speed of construction, a modular home can be completed on site, depending on size and complexity, in 10 up to 20 days.
- High quality. Because the modules are constructed in a controlled environment the common faults that appear on site due to poor execution are avoided.
- Environmentally friendly due to low waste and optimum use of resources. The factory process consumes less materials and, due to controlled procurement produces less waste than a traditional construction site.
- Provide a healthier living environment. Because modular houses are built in a controlled environment, the risk of mold, mildew, rust, and sun damage that can often lead to human respiratory problems, is eliminated.
- Flexibility is another great feature of modular houses. They can be extended or relocated with ease. When a modular house is relocated the amount of energy used is approximately 3% of the energy that is required to manufacture a new equivalent modular building.
Although the list of advantages is long there are also some disadvantages.
- Constructed area. Because of transport restrictions the size of the modules can be small affecting the overall size of the rooms.
- Aesthetics: prefabricated identical units may be viewed as less aesthetically pleasing and less desirable, but now most of the factories that produce modular homes have also design departments that use computer aided design (CAD) programs to draw plans to your specifications or to modify one of their standard plans so almost any home can be made as a modular one.
Modular homes are eco-friendly, fast to build and very flexible. They have to follow the same laws and requirements as normal constructions and have the same taxes and insurance costs as a normal house.
The modular house might be cheaper and faster to built but the value of the property is at the same level as the one of a normal house so if you want to move soon in a new house it might take less to construct a prefabricated building then searching true the real estate pages for a good offer.
Your comments are always welcomed.